Have you given much thought to your garage door lately? Garage door safety often goes under the radar as far as home safety goes. But this should most definitely not be the case. The garage door is the biggest and heaviest moving piece in most homes, and it can cause serious injury or even death when proper safety is not practiced.
Luckily, though, this list of garage door safety tips can help keep everyone in your home safe:
1. Make sure children cannot reach the garage door opener controls.
2. Remind children that the garage door remote is not a toy.
3. Make sure you know how to use your garage door’s emergency release feature.
4. When is the last time you looked at the workings of your garage door? Check your garage door regularly, and call a trained repairman for periodic inspections.
5. Make sure your garage door’s reversing mechanism is working. Place an unbreakable object in the door’s path and make sure the door does not close on the object. Call a repairman if the door does not go back up automatically.
6. Don’t leave the door cracked! It’s both a safety and a security hazard.
7. Take precautions while on vacation: unplug the automatic opener; change access codes; never leave your remote in sight.